Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Mizoram election result 2013: 'Nobody made me a leader, my hard work paid off'

AIZAWL: Congress might have taken a bad hit in the four other states that went to polls recently but his party colleagues' decimation did not shake four-time Mizoram chief minister Lal Thanhawla's confidence even for once. The grand old man of Mizoram Congress remained visibly calm through his party's debacle in other states. "I have been here, I've seen many, I was confident that we will have a clean majority," he said.

The 71-year-old Lal Thanhawla has been dubbed too old by many, but at a time when the BJP wave is sweeping the nation and the air is rife with anti-Congress sentiment, the veteran politician has led his party to another landslide victory in Mizoram.

No wonder his age is no matter of concern for his partymen. "I know I'm aged, and I sincerely feel it's high time for me to retire from politics and spend more time with my family, especially with my grandchildren, but the call from my partymen is still very loud for me," he said.

Clearly, Lal Thanhawla, who has already won the maximum number of seats in Mizoram's electoral history, can't just hang his boots and settle into a domestic, retired life. His party expects him to sit in the chief minister's chair for another five years. Since 1978, Lal Thanhawla has won seats in nine assembly elections, including this one.

"Leaders are not made; nobody made me a leader, my dedication and hard work paid off. With God on my side, my perseverance and love for my state made me who I am today," Lal Thanhawla said.

His dynamic daughter-in-law Rosy Chalrotluangi, who's behind his success in Hrangturzo constituency, feels that her father-in-law needs more time with his grandchildren, but understands his calling.

"At this age, my father-in-law longs for a quiet and a serene life with his family, but Mizoram Congress still needs him and he is also fully aware of this. He once told me he could not choose between the people of Mizoram and his grandchildren, he loves them both," Rosy Chalrotluangi said.

Rosy's siblings, sports minister Zodintluanga and Chalrosanga, won from Thorang and Lunglei West constituencies respectively. Chalrosanga, her youngest sibling and a first-timer, defeated Mizo National Front's heavyweight candidate R Lalthangliana, a former minister and incumbent legislator from Lunglei West constituency.